Friday, March 18, 2011

March Lions and Lambs

Welcome!
'March comes in like a lion, and leaves like a lamb.'

Well, the lion part of March is supposedly over, so we will play a little catch up with the lion. Then on to the lambs!!!

vintage engraving

This vintage clip is courtesy of Dover. I love how the victorian age artists draw their animals. Some were drawn from a 'guesstimate' as the artist had never seen an actual live one!

Here is a fun puzzle for the young ones, with a great coloring sheet background:

oops, I see I don't have the words for this...so make up some of your own!


"Every animal knows more than you do."
- Nez Perce proverb

While I have been browsing around for informaton on lions and lambs and March ideas I discovered a few things.
First of all, there is some fantastic artwork out there of Lion/Lamb in the context of scripture - the Bible. Some are based on  verses about Yeshua (Jesus) being the Lion and the Lamb of God. This is based on verses from Isaiah found in the Old Testament part of the Bible (the books traditionally placed in the front of the Bible). Judah refers to the original 12 tribes of Israel.

Many refer to a verse that says "and the beast shall lie down with the lamb, and a small child shall lead them" referring to a time of peace. Most artists throughout history have interpreted this with paintings of lions or bears and lambs; sometimes with a small child.

I love the sweet images of peace!
"Any glimpse into the life of an animal quickens our own and makes it so much larger and better in every way."
- John Muir

Here is a page from an old Aesop's Fables book:

A kindness is never wasted; Aesop's Fable
Here is a cool modern take on the lion and the lamb -

You can find the site where they sell t-shirts and more at:
Lion Fun Fact:
Lions live in families of 20 - 30. There will be a few adult males and a few adult females with cubs. They share in their meals. Lions usually consume their kill all at once. Occasionally they will hide their meat in trees if they are threatened by hyenas.
This looks more like a lion that roars in with March!

"The greatness of a nation and
its moral progress
can be judged by
the way its animals are treated."
- Mahatma Gandhi

Here is another coloring sheet for the kids, or for you!


The second thing I found really surprised me! Evidently the promoters of the hit movie series "Twilight" have adapted a Bible verse for their mass promotion!
It says: "The lion fell in love with the lamb." This means - for all you none teenage savvy folks - the lion (the vampire) fell in love with the lamb (human girl).
Interesting take.

I like this one better however:
The artist of this painting is an amazingly talented watercolorist.
You can find her blog here: http://www.maryjaneone.blogspot.com/

Well, that's all for today. I'm off to physical torture therapy! 
Yes, Christine, you are a wonderful physical therapist.
I love to stretch. I love to exercise. I love to stretch. I love to exercise.

hmmmm.... best finish with a spot of humor!
"Trust me, I'm a vegetarian!"

inkspired



No comments:

Post a Comment