Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Passover, Jews for Jesus and free paperdolls

Welcome!

Passover started at sundown last night (Monday).
I love this painting of the Last Supper. So much more realistic to history than the traditional one we usually see.

So why would a goyim like me even think about the Jewish holiday of Passover?
(goyim is basically a term for a non-Jew)

There are many good books and videos and cd's out there that explain it much better than I ever could.

This link is a book titled "Christ in the Passover". 
Here it is in Spanish:

Jews for Jesus is a Messianic Jewish organization that I have supported for many, many years. I learned of it through my Dad, Dick Troup.
            
Side note: A Messianic or sometimes called a Fulfilled Jew is someone who believes that Y'weh (God) has fulfilled His promise and has sent a Messiah (Saviour) - Yeshua (Jesus).
The Jewish religion as a whole believe that they are still waiting for the Messiah to come. They do not acknowledge Yeshua as being the Messiah. Thus, God's promise is 'unfulfilled".

More on Jews for Jesus and me:
After I had sent a note with my married name, the founder, Moishe Rosen, sent me a letter asking if I was related to another Kloberdans.
I am! He is my husband's uncle. Turns out Moishe grew up in the same neighborhood as my uncles, and Moishe was best friends with one of them!
Cool!
My uncle is a good Catholic, and of course the Rosens were Jewish. That didn't stop them from becoming friends. They just adapted, and talked about each other's religion and beliefs and practices. Uncle would wait outside the temple for Moishe (or Marty!) to come out after attending Jewish classes. Moishe would wait outside the Catholic church for Uncle to come out after confession! 
Here is a painting of Jesus with children from all different cultures. I like the reminder to us that Jesus did not come just to the Jewish nation, but He gave all of us the chance to learn about God's love for us and the opportunity to spend eternity with Him. John 3:16

I have collected a few paintings and drawings from different cultures that interpret the image of Christ from their cultural standpoint.
This is one of my favorites:

I really hate pictures of Jesus Christ that show Him as a blonde-headed and blue-eyed man. While there are some blonde and blue eyed Jews....
Hello.....
Jesus was Jewish! I am much more inclined to believe that He had a dark, Mediterranean kind of skin color, black hair and dark brown eyes. Perhaps He even wore His hair in a long braid down the back! 
I suppose the point is, we don't know exactly what He looked like for a reason. Check out the Ten Commandments!
movie still of Charleton Heston

Korean painting of Jesus saving Peter from drowning due to his lack of belief.
Here is an African interpretation of the crucifixion of Jesus Christ:

So, check out the book of Exodus from the Bible, and read all about the Passover and why it is important for the Jewish people to remember the saving of the Hebrews from Egyptian slavery.
vintage German postcard wishing a Happy Easter

vintage song sheet graphics
You can find more vintage song sheets at the web site I have listed on the right side of my blog page.

Now, for Something Completely Different:

Let's have another Easter themed paper doll.
I know you want to have these ready to cut out or to play with by Easter Sunday!

adorable Joan Walsh Anglund paper doll with an Easter hat, basket and lily

This next one I picked because it reminded me of the darling coats that children used to wear to church. I have a photo of my sister and me in coats and with little white gloves.


Make a note of this page,
 as I will be posting more clothes for these paperdolls in the future.

Well, that is enough for today!
We are in a 'countdown' for Easter.
(Are  you printing out all the coloring pages I have blogged?)
image courtesy of karen's whimsy

inkspired


No comments:

Post a Comment