Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Knights in Armour and Ladies Faire

Li-ho

(Hello in Taiwanese)

French Castle
I bid you Welcome from the land of castles, knights, kings and queens and maidens fair.
Yesterday was spent giving our son his 24th birthday present.
We took him to a large furniture warehouse, and told him he could pick out a bed or a sofa or a dinette set (within a set amount of $$).
He lives in his own apartment.
Somehow at age 24 buying video games and movies is more important than not sleeping on the floor!
He chose a bed, but was just going to get
a mattress and box springs, no frame.
That did not suit The Dad.
Fortunately, one of the first things we saw was a really cool
raised platform for a bed with no springs.
I think it looks as if it is Asian inspired.
It is a very simple design, and stands about 12" off the floor, with boards all around (so no stuffing dirty laundry there!)
This pleased The Mom.
Next we found a memory foam bed that needs no springs.
He liked it.
Yeah!
Next we tried to find a salesperson
FOR 30 MINUTES!
[This is me -  :0(  ]
I finally found one, and she was very nice and apologetic.
She was also a manager, and I know she had a ton of
other things to to. So, it was nice of her to take the time and be patient with us, etc.
Next,
WE WAIT FOR THE TICKET TO COME UP SO THE ORDERS GO TO THE WAREHOUSE TO BRING THE 2 ITEMS TO A DOCK.
You have to remember, this is a Tuesday, noonish.
Not a lot of customer traffic for pick-ups.
Oh well, we all got a Mountain Dew.
Haven't had one of those in ages - still tastes good!
Okay, I'm blabbing.
Got everything to Peter's apt.
The Dad and The Son put the frame together.
I was horrified by the lack of basic housekeeping skills
that apparently The Son and The Roommate
don't have time (or desire) for.
Being a good Mom, I did enjoy vacuuming,
and picking up TONS OF TRASH
(note: I did not raise my son to live this way!)
empty pizza boxes, lots of used kleenex
ewwwwuuuu....
empty soda cans, empty plastic water bottles...
Well, I got worn out,
The Dad got very worn out
and The Son couldn't remember the last time he had eaten.
Finished.
Hurray.
Dragged our smelly selves to a local restaurant
and had very good Mexican food.
(Three Margaritas - I recommend!)
Dragged our still smelly selves
- did I mention that The Son's apt. a/c apparently doesn't work?
-did I mention that this was a HOT afternoon?
home, into showers, took a nap
and finished up the day with a delightful movie
"It's Complicated" with Meryl Streep.
Boy is she a great actress!

On to Camelot!



Alnwick Castle, England


c.1902



Karlstejn Castle
Prague, around 1350
Medieval Knight Helmets

Here are two scherensnitte cuttings:




Why don't you try sketching your own simple castle drawing?
When I first started out I needed to color in the spaces that were to be cut out. It helped me see the whole thing better.
E-mail me and let me see your designs and ideas!



Alcazar de Segovia
Spain, 11th century

Lovely Liana's paperdolls want to join in the fantasy castle fun, so here are some of Liana's paperdolls and some of her
wonderful costumes to print, cut out, and play with!
Check out her blog site -
she is constantly coming up with new fashion designs.

 



 
Now you need to print these out,
and when you are home this will give you a little something to do while you are watching a movie -
Camelot
Men in Tights (Mel Brooks)
Robin Hood - any of them!
A Knight's Tale
...you get the idea!
Have yourself a nice Camelot break tonight!
(It's okay to wear your crown and/or tiara too!)
 English Garden crystal tiara
or

Here are a couple of coloring pages to do
while you watch the movie-
(I always have to do something besides just sit there,
maybe you do too!)



Princess Leonora from Dover

German knight from 1512



Here are directions for a FANTASTIC Castle pop-up card
by Robert Sabuda (my absolute favorite pop-up artist).

This address will take you to the directory.
R. Sabuda offers many free pop-up directions for different things -
flowers
architecture
people
birds
animals...

He makes it look very easy, with tons of photos to help you along.



Burresheim Castle
Germany

I hate to close today,
as I still have more castles and knights
and princesses to share.
Better wait for tomorrow!

Have a super day,
but an extra special Camelot knight
er...I mean Camelot night!

inkspired





No comments:

Post a Comment