Monday, November 14, 2011

Kings and Princes and Genies, oh my!

solh
صلح
(Peace in Farsi)

8/6/11 Hiroshima Peace memorial Park,
66th Anniversary of bombing.
photo credit- Koji Sasahara

Just a little note:
Farsi is considered a 'Persian' language, and is spoken in
Iran
Iraq
Afghanistan
Pakistan
Azerbaijan
Of those 5 countries, I have readers from Iraq and Pakistan.
Thanks readers!

c.1920

I thought I would share with you today a follow up to the previous 'Aladdin' blog.
There are many books, paintings and photos to have fun with!
I have many many song sheet covers (thank you Indiana University Music)
with just super vintage graphics!

 c.1921 by Alberto Vargas


vintage Moroccan dancing girl postcard 

Let's explore some of the costumes.
Sometimes it is hard to tell if the costume is authentic,
or fanciful.
or perhaps a mix of both?

a painting for Scheherazade by Bakst 


vintage from 'famous fairy tales'

'Arabian Nights' c.1912 by Rene Bull

Here we have some fun 'posed' photographs.
I would think these are mostly in the 'fanciful' arena!
I have added in some actresses, some dancers and some gypsy costumes.
It seems that sometimes the Aladdin type costumes were intertwined with the gypsy ones and modified for dance numbers.

Melle Tori, c.1898

Jeanne Ronsay, c. 1923

La Belle Otero, c.1920
 
famous Nijinsky in 'Scherherazade'

Nijinsky and Ida Rubinstein

Ruth St Denis, from the 1920's

and here are some wonderful song sheet vintage graphics:

c.1913

c.1916

c.1917

c.1921
(I find this woman really scary!!)

c.1921

Some more sheiks and sultans for you -

c.1918
from a musical production of 'Sinbad'

c.1919

c.1920

date unknown

Next up - 3 simple scherensnitte patterns

to finish - a magic lamp!


I have really enjoyed gathering these vintage graphics and photos for you about 'Aladdin'
and the fantasies that people have surrounded his story with.

I think I need to go and purchase a big silky scarf...
maybe a palm tree or two...
and of course, find my magic lamp!

:0)
inkspired

No comments:

Post a Comment